“A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit.” –D. Elton Trueblood

Sunday, May 16, 2010

WEEP

It is hard to believe that over a well over a week has passed since arriving here in Nairobi.  The country has transformed from a dusty, parched land to a swampy, muddy mess.  This has led to many landslides and frequent loss of power.  Kenya is the land of extremes! 

Along with the climate change, I have adjusted nicely to a packed HEART lodge filled with teams eager to see Africa.  Most of my first week was preparing for these teams and lining up their schedules.  We have visited our WEEP (Women’s Equality Empowerment Program) centers in Kibera, Mathare, and Ngong slum.  Our WEEP project is essentially an orphan prevention initiative.  Keep mom or caretaker alive and you will prevent orphans...   In addition, they learn multiple skills like sewing school uniforms for kids or mosquito bed nets to prevent malaria.  They are even trained in counseling so they can return to their community and help those in need.  Its a great program!  Unfortunately, the heavy rain has left many of our ladies with flooded homes.  Needless to say, it is tough to be productive in your work when you are living in these conditions.  In addition, these ladies are all HIV positive so their immune systems are very weak.  We have already began the process or elevating their homes, pouring concrete and extending the roof to help keep them dry.  We will then return their furniture which is currently being stored.  I will keep you posted on the progress.  Oh and just a  reminder, these are my friends homes.  I say that not to cause guilt but rather to bring awareness.  I hope we all realize how blessed we are.
 


I told you my updates would be scattered.  :)  I am doing the best I can with the time that I have.  More to come soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment